Pages

Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Branching Out My Creative Muscles (see what I did there??)


I've not been as good about crafting as I had hoped to be, getting distracted by my tiny handheld computer screen (I'm looking at you, iPhone old friend). After a quick day trip to the mountains failed to remove the weight of anxiety and bluh I was feeling, I put my phone down.

Not completely. It's a bad habit, you see. I pick it up when I need a quick distraction (because IG is just so darn FUN!) and then get sucked in. This week, when I find myself starting to scroll, I've been doing something crafty instead.

I've done a lot of coloring (SU! Blends are so delightful to color with!), and today (after Lissie once again poked and prodded ;oP) I decided to see what I could do with this week's challenge over at The Paper Players.

When I used to play along, I found color and theme challenges fairly easy to do while sketches often stymied me.

This week was this sketch:

*GULP*

A sketch.

Of course it would be a sketch

:insert laughing face here:

I made five cards. Three of them were okay and two were awful. 

But, wait, I made FIVE cards! When was the last time I sat down and did that?!? And, you know what? Even with the two horrible duds, I had FUN!! :oD When was the last time I said I really had fun scrolling on IG? 

So, once again, thank you, Paper Players, for inspiring me to stretch my creative muscles and have fun getting inky and messy. :o)  


*************************
Stamp Sets: Branch Out, Sweet Essentials
Paper: Heavy Whisper White
Ink: Coastal Cabana, Granny Apple Green, Lemon Lime Twist, Poppy Parade, Mango Melody, Early Espresso, Crumb Cake, Memento Tuxedo Black
Miscellaneous: dimensionals

How To:

*I inked up my D block with Coastal Cabana, stamped off twice and then used it to create the background
*The sentiment is a mashup of two in the Sweet Essentials set. I covered the words I didn't want to stamp with washi tape, inked the word I wanted, and then peeled the tape off. I had to use the Stamp-A-Majig because there was NO WAY I was positioning those words where I wanted them otherwise!

7 comments:

Jan Clothier said...

This is just so pretty! Love your washed sky and the scatter of leaves!

Stamps-N-Lingers said...

Super pretty! And - I have my Stamp-A-Ma-Jig, still, too. Awesome tool! Love your background and sweet "scene"! Thanks for sharing it with us this week at The Paper Players! :)

Jaydee said...

5 cards... thats good! Just branching out those creative muscles is very good and gets you into the habit :-) I love all that wonderful white space - you have to know it makes my CAS loving heart so happy. Fabulous take on the sketch, Rach
hugs to you and Lissie and thanks for joining us at the Paper Players again this week
jaydee

Claire Broadwater said...

I just love this card! The way you used the splatters for your background was genius! I would love to swing in that tire swing and watch the birds. So happy you joined us at The Paper Players this week!

Stef Perry said...

Your CAS take on the sketch is absolutely gorgeous and I'm so impressed you made FIVE cards! I'm with you on the whole social media thin; for me, it becomes such a black hole of time wasted. So I applaud your efforts to turn to being creative! Thanks for joining us at The Paper Players this week, I hope we see you back again soon!

Joanne James - The Crafty Owl said...

I just love your card Rach - I love the splatters on the diagonal that echo your tree. So many pretty details in your little scene too. Way to go on your 5 cards - it is all too easy to get pulled into a black hole as far as social media is concerned. So glad our sketch inspired you; thanks for sharing with us over at The Paper Players this week!

Anne Marie Hile said...

I just love your CAS take on the sketch. The inked block behind the tree is a lovely detail, too. Thank you so much for joining us this week over at The Paper Players!