Pages

Friday, August 21, 2020

Happy New Year!


The new school year is upon us. Living in a part of Virginia that doesn't begin until the day after Labor Day (the so-called "King's Dominion Law" because there is a belief we need the high school kids to run all the amusement parks and tourist attractions in this part of the state), I still have a few more weeks before I being with students, although I "report" to work via Zoom next Tuesday. :o)

I come by my teaching honestly. 

My mama (Lissie!) was a teacher and I spent my childhood before and after school in her classroom learning the ropes of the life of a school teacher. In turn, I set up my own classroom, teaching my stuffed animals and a--at times--resentful sister. ;o) And, then, somehow, 20+ years passed, and here I am! 

All this to say, my life has always (always!) revolved around the school calendar. Whether it was beginning daycare in September or starting school (and later college), or now, as an adult, setting up my room and making plans for the year, the school calendar drives my life. 

Every September I call out, "Happy New Year!" because, to me, this just makes sense! It is, without a doubt, a new year!

Starting a "new" year in January? 

Nope. ;o)

This week at The Paper Players the challenge was to make a CAS Back to School card. 

I've been trying to forget my summer of "freedom" (um, really? Freedom? In the time of Covid-19?) is ending and put off this card to the last possible moment. :oP 

The beginning of the year is always hectic, chaotic, and exhausting, and this year will undoubtedly be more so. We will be starting all virtual and this is going to present its own unique challenges. I hope my family's ready for Teacher Rachael to come on in and shove Summer Rachael on out of the way. LOL!

For now, I have a few more days of leisure before I hit the ground running on my New Year. :o) 


 (I always laugh at what a huge mess I make when making such a crisp card.)


Stamp Sets: Teeny Tiny Wishes, Tart and Tangy
Ink: Real Red, Shaded Spruce, So Saffron, Early Espresso, Memento Black
Paper: Whisper White (both), Real Red
Miscellaneous: basic pearls

Notes:
That apple stamp has always bothered me a bit because when you slice into an apple, in general, it is NOT red (or green!). That said, I have seen pink-y streaks in an apple so I wasn't too bothered by the touches of red on the "flesh". My biggest dilemma was trying to figure out what color to use for the fruit inside. 

I inked the stamp up using my Stampin' Write markers and used my trusty and old faithful Stamp-A-Majig to place the apples.

3 comments:

Claire Broadwater said...

I too, come for a long line of teachers. I taught 27 years, and I must admit there are things I still miss. I love your CAS card. the red just pops and I love the sentiment for a new school year! So happy you joined my challenge at The Paper Players!

Stamps-N-Lingers said...

Such a fun card, Rach - perfect for our CAS challenge! And - thank you for following the family tradition and doing one of the hardest jobs out there - shaping our future! Thanks for sharing your project with us this week at The Paper Players!

Anne Marie Hile said...

Love your little trio of apples and the awesome clean design, Rach. Thanks so much for joining us this week over at The Paper Players!